View Single Post
Old 10-17-23, 09:09 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,020 Times in 1,635 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
The S14 G2 is sublime. Not that tippy but very, very fast can keep up with or easily pass longer boats especially plastic ones like the P&H Virgo etc. Can get up to 6.2-6.3mph in a straight line according to Garmin or Strava and not that big or long so easy to store and carry. Any shorter you lose out, I also have an S12 that doesn't feel that fast and it actually feels a little more tippy despite being an inch wider. The S16 is faster I tried it but feels extremely tippy. As always go out of your way to try before you buy as everyone is different.

The one "bad" thing about Stellar boats is they are designed to go fast to the detriment of other things so they don't handle that great. They don't track well, require a skeg or rudder to keep you in place otherwise they squiggle this way and that are almost impossible to control. And when you use these devices you lose out on the boat's potential maneuverability no matter how you adjust the skeg. I just keep my skeg down and forget about it taking a long time to take turns. It's basically a very fast recreational boat but not for big waters. To do any better you have to pay WAY more money like Romany or P&H to have that mature handling that is both crisp and responsive when you want to (on edge) yet track well when upright. Unfortunately none of them are as light or easy to carry and if you want the lightweight versions you're looking north of $6,000.
check out turnpoint boat works petrel play..... Nick Shade design (you can also make one with a CLS stitch and glue kit) https://www.turningpointboatworks.com/the-petrel-play