View Single Post
Old 10-27-23, 07:17 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 118 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1765:

I definitely do not have my winter skin yet this season.

Temps this week have been in the 50s and 60s up until this morning. Today I woke up to 28°F air temp and a 30+ mph north wind. First hard freeze of the season.

I wore my balaclava, which usually I don't pull out until closer to 20°F, but because of the wind I made an exception. I'm glad I did. I had to ride straight into it the gale the whole 4.25 miles to the client's office. I'm not sure what the wind chill was, but definitely cold.

I took the road bike. It had rained well into the night, but when the wind picked up it quickly dried everything out. The pavement was mostly dry on the way to work, with only puddles here and there in the low spots. I hit a frozen spot hiding under some leaves and had my wheels slide out from under me, but thankfully kept the bike upright. It was enough to get the adrenaline going, though.

Temps are supposed to continue south, and we should see the teens next week. Tomorrow we're supposed to get a few inches of snow. I suppose I should probably get the winter bikes prepared for the season.