View Single Post
Old 10-27-23, 12:04 PM
Cyclespanner

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 95 Posts
With all vehicles, the maximum deceleration possible is dictated by the ability of the tyre to retain reverse traction.
Not only is that compromised by whatever surface you may be on but also the sensitivity and skill of the operator.
Too much brake is worse than just enough.
A skidding wheel is no brake at all.

So far on my catch up on this thread (p201) I hear so much about changing to alloy rims and super blocks, like KoolStops.

Don't get me wrong, I accept such a change is beneficial, but I've checked out the cost of a pair of re-built wheels for my recently acquired, virtually new, steel rimmed Raleigh 'Chiltern' would be over 3 times my outlay on the bike alone.
So, unless I was having to replace worn/corroded rims, 'upgrading' isn't an option.

I won't be choosing to ride this (too nice) machine in the rain. I live in the UK, a notoriously wet country most of the time.
As a recreational cycle, I see no pleasure riding it in the wet.....but am quite happy to wait for and enjoy the rare dry opportunities that open up before me.

My wet weather back up is a very utilitarian 40 year old Tensor 'elite', a very close Raleigh roadster clone I was given 25 years ago. Though it was a low end bike when new and much derided, it remains totally reliable (including its S-A AW).
Not one item has been changed or replaced in its entire life.

Returning to the subject of chrome plated steel rims, has anyone experimented by periodically abrading the braking surfaces?
Likes For Cyclespanner: