View Single Post
Old 11-01-23, 06:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
- "Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful"

Using YOU instead of ME suggests speaking for others.
Using 'you' is actually me projecting my view onto the situation of others.
Again, I am not speaking for others. I was speaking for myself about what I think the benefit, or lack of, for others.

You disagree with my view? Cool, I accept that. It's an opinion and a controversial one on the general forum of BF. I am not surprised my comments aren't fully embraced because I am not speaking for everyone, therefore I don't expect unanimous agreement.

Once more to clear up what I have posted so far in this thread- it is my personal view that seeing what's coming up behind you is of little value in most road riding situations. Some situations?...sure. I even listed a situation for myself. But for just riding on paved roads?...very rarely. The OP pointed out another instance where its beneficial and I agreed(though it could also be solved with a Varia and not a mirror).

The real issue is a lack of ability to turn one's head and look to see at the traffic situation. Mirrors, like the Varia, are great for seeing most traffic, but there are blind spots and to be fully aware of traffic a physical turn and look back is best. That's a rough situation to have to deal with.

As for the Milwaukee Slide, noted. You have to launch yourself off your bike so frequently that a cute term has even been coined. Pretty sure I would start playing pickleball if I had to ride in those conditions. Doesn't sound fun.