Thread: gear ratio
View Single Post
Old 11-01-23, 09:43 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
It is always funny when people want to know what single-speed gear ratios others are running, as if anyone is going to be their size, age, genetics, proportions and fitness level and have the exact same grades to climb on their rides every day********************? Even one person, myself as an example, will change gearing throughout each riding season as my fitness level changes and the weather changes etc.. Also it is funny how someone will criticize another rider for pedaling at low-rpm, as if nobody enjoys just beach-cruising along at five or ten mph looking at the sand and waves or the amber fields of grain out in the country? Everyone is supposed to be spinning and speeding at a racing cadence all the time? Ridiculous.

If you are not in a hurry, and you are on level ground or going down-grade going at low speed, then it does not matter what your cadence is, and if you are grunting up a steep grade then of course your cadence will be low. In other words unless you want to go fast and are, your cadence on a single speed will normally be low unless you gear it to need 100rpm at 10mph.

Maybe someone who has little experience on a single-speed wants to know what gear to start with, and that is simple, ride your multi-speed around your usual routes and note what gear you can use to get up the steepest grade on your routes while standing up pedaling, and start with that one on your single speed. If you are willing to walk up your steepest grades then gear for more speed as walking is good exercise too believe it or not.

I am lucky as my local terrain lets me gear my bike fast enough to keep up with a local group-ride I like to join regularly and still be able to easily climb up the steepest grade on my regular riding routes, so I have it all. If I am exceptionally tired I have no problem getting off the bike and walking it up a steep grade, as it can keep your heart rate in the same zone and is good cross-training and also can be a relaxing change.

So you don't need to know what gearing I run or anyone else does because it will never be right for you.
Likes For 88ss: