Old 11-03-23, 10:45 AM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
The bottom line is you would have to completely redesign many cities to accomplish what many of you continuously dribble about in this silly forum.

It's laughable. Especially the tax dollars that would have to go towards implementing it. Not gonna happen in the US. Not in large cities. Especially smaller in size but still have larger populations. Older eastern cities immediately come to mind.

People don't feel safe, and they have the money you can forget it! Cycle for leisure, drive everywhere else.
Some cities are hopeless -- L.A. comes to mind.

But you don't need to completely redesign a city to make it more walkable/bikeable. I know cities that are unrecognizably better than they were 30 years ago; Atlanta GA, Austin TX just to name two.

And don't forget we ARE going to get a significant redesign of cities soon to accommodate self-driving cars. The idea is to ban the use of human driven cars in urban parts of cities, which allows drastic reduction in the amount of road area needed (and almost completely eliminates parking), freeing up vast amounts of space for pedestrians, bikes, and green spaces. This will be really cool. I regret I will probably not live to see it fully implemented, but future cities are going to be fantastic.
Likes For Dockhead: