Old 11-09-23, 06:34 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 529 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 1,479 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
Years ago, when I was young and dumb, an old timer (once a member of the US team and a medalist in the Pan Am games) told me that I'm a good cyclist because I know how to suffer. Hey, I was raised Catholic. Which means, almost every minute of my life was suffering.
Have you heard the story of St. Francis of Assisi's explanation of "perfect joy"? Based on this story alone I've always thought St. Francis should be the patron saint of cyclists.

Your comment also reminded me of a time that I was visiting with @Lascauxcaveman after a ride that he hosted, and one of his guests (I think it was his cousin) who hadn't joined us for the ride was telling us about the time she tried to be a cyclist. She told a pretty good story about an organized ride she did and this awful climb in the middle of the ride and how the whole time she was dragging herself up that climb she thought she was going to die. I told her that people who love cycling have exactly the same experience except that when we get finished we tell ourselves it was fun.