View Single Post
Old 11-13-23, 04:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5115 Post(s)
Liked 8,443 Times in 3,986 Posts
Please tell us your age. 55

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Road, mountain, and gravel My primary bikes are new-ish, but I have a few that are 20+ years old. The older ones don't get ridden very often.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No. I don't think blood pressure meds count in any of those categories.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Depends what time frame I compare to. I'm not as fast as I was at 35, by a good step, but I was more than 10 years into being an active racer, and racing Cat 2. However, I took almost 15 years off the bike, starting in 2005. Since I started riding again 4 years ago, I am continuing to set new PRs and build fitness.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I did a little BMX racing as a kid. Rode and raced MTB, road, and CX from '90-'05. Back at it again since '19.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Currently, I ride my road bike, MTB, and gravel bike, on rides that range from 1 hour to 5+ hours. Sometimes I ride solo. Sometimes I ride with others. The variety of options keeps cycling fresh, interesting, and motivating. In this post-racer phase, I'm enjoying riding for the pure joy of riding a bike, rather than the constant pressure and suffering of training to be faster/stronger. Sometimes I enjoy fast, competitive group road rides. Sometimes I enjoy stopping to take pics of the places my bike takes me.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I'm typically on the bike 3-4 days per week, and my rough target is 100 miles per week. Mostly due to family obligation interruptions (my kid's travel softball), my years have been in the 3k mile range. This year, I expect to end up over 4k.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-13-23 at 04:32 PM.
Likes For Eric F: