Old 11-15-23, 09:23 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.slick
My father-in-law up in the Sierra Nevadas used to race Bud Light Series triathlons back in the 80's. He'd beat the top contenders out of the water and he still remembers the whoosh sound of getting passed on the bike.

His 90s steel OS tubing Paramount (royal purple--64cm) was collecting dust so I convinced him to let me build it up with STIs to get him to ride it again. Originally it came with tri-color Shimano 53/44 x 13-23. He claims that he pushed his old racing Univega over the mountains with a 19t gear. I put a 12-34 rear cassette and Sensah 2x7 shifter/levers. I wrapped the bars with purple Deda Elementi tape and put on purple anodized end crimps. We did half of the old tri course around the lake and he held a good pace over the hills at the end.

I haven't reached my 10-post minimum so the photos will have to wait.
Santa Maria? It's a shame I'm not still down in Los Olivos. Enjoy Tepusquet Canyon for me; it was one of my favorite climbs in the area. I have a early 90's Paramount OS, but it's the candy-apple red!