View Single Post
Old 11-16-23, 01:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18564 Post(s)
Liked 15,991 Times in 7,511 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have a front rack that can carry panniers high and low, and also has a platform top. I've used it for loaded touring with rear panniers mounted on the fork, plus stuff lashed to the top platform.
I've also used it to hold a Wald 139 basket then put a large size specific bag into the basket for commuting.

Currently, a wide flat platform that attaches to mid-fork eyelets is on the bike. A half height 139 basket is attached and that holds the size specific bag.

None of those 3 setups have made my bike handle like crap. It handles fine unloaded and handles fine loaded.
IKR. During 1999-2000, I rode 10,000 miles with four panniers and something strapped to my top rack. In 1999 it was my sleeping bag for 6,000 miles. In 2000 I did 4,000 with a tent riding up there. (Got a smaller tent in 2000 that could fit up there.

Done plenty of other miles with a sleeping bag on the top rack. Have never had handling problems doing that. Different story with a bundle of firewood over short distances though. But how often does that happen?

Likes For indyfabz: