View Single Post
Old 11-17-23, 04:55 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 460 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Weight placed closer to the steering axis tends to be more stable and better than weight placed far in front of the steering axis.
Bingo. In engineering this is called moment of inertia.

It doesn't matter what "designed for load carrying" bike you have. You can't get away from physics. The further away your load is from the steering axis, the more force is needed to turn the bars. Propped far in front of the fork is the worse case scenario for this. It massively slows down the speed you can steer! That's why the bike fundamentally handles like dog sh*t before you even get into wheel flop and instability which is a whole other level of problem on top.

The reality is that if you took the exact same amount of weight and experimented between all the different places on the frame you could carry it, stuck on the fork jutting in front of the head tube is by far, by far the worst place for handling.

Now if someone says, "I'm a townie rider, handling is not the highest priority for me", that's a perfectly legitimate viewpoint. But instead you have a bunch of people here (not referring to you) who have apparently made the wrong choice in their lives and are now butt hurt lmao.

I hear some other people saying "I've ridden X number of miles with this setup and I loved it." Yeah, I have no doubt you rode your X number of miles and were in fact fine. I've been with a couple of ugly women at some point in my life, and it was also "fine". Everything still worked, you know what I mean? But fine relative to what? It's a crass analogy, sorry.

Guys, the truth only hurts if you let it hurt you. Reality doesn't care about your feelings.

Last edited by Yan; 11-17-23 at 05:18 PM.