View Single Post
Old 11-25-23, 07:39 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Had an enjoyable year. I don't really have an annual mileage goal, but if I ride when I feel like it I usually get close to 2000 miles in. Currently at 1887 miles and 80846 feet ascending - if you can believe RWGPS data. I ride every month of the year when the weather is decent - 30* + and reasonably dry - but most of my riding is from May through October.

I rode The Great North gravel ride out of Cambridge, NY back in early May. Did the 50 mile route that goes over into VT and back. Some pretty serious climbing for me, but fortunately had two friends along to provide motivation. If you get a chance it's a fun and well-organized ride. Here's a video of the ride from 2022 and the ride can be found on BikeReg:

I also led an October Vermont gravel ride looping from Arlington down to North Bennington and back. There is a very nice network of quiet gravel roads in that area and some fun coffee stops at either end.

Mechanically - I set up a couple different sets of tires tubeless on a set of Hunt 650b gravel wheels that I got earlier in the year - my first experience with tubeless. I didn't have any significant issues and now feel comfortable about tubeless initial set up and any road repairs that might be necessary. Tubeless is practical, but IMO you do have to remove the tires every 5 months or so and scrape the dried sealant off the inside.

So now it's time for alpine skiing to start. The ski areas near me have started or are close to starting operations. A good start weather-wise and hopefully El Nino will provide a good snow season.

Arlington, Vermont - looking NW toward Mt. Eqinox

Last edited by jlaw; 11-26-23 at 06:42 PM.
Likes For jlaw: