View Single Post
Old 11-25-23, 10:02 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Tons of stuff I know now that seems to impress people despite me doing it the hard way for years.

When putting a tight tire on, put the unmounted portion on the bottom and grip the tire on both sides, pulling it down as hard as you can starting from the top and ending at the unmounted portion. It may look like you're not making any progress, but it will often settle just enough to let you get the last bit into place with just your fingers.

Shift to the smallest cog before removing the rear wheel. This allows the RD to be out of the way the most, and is often easier to align the wheel when putting it back on.

Store wheels with tubeless tires so that the valve stems are at about the 4 or 8 o'clock position. This makes gravity help you keep the sealant from clogging the valve. Any higher and gravity holds the sealant inside the valve. Too much lower and the sealant pooling at the bottom will possibly fill the stem.

Use hair spray to lubricate grips when installing them. It dries sticky so the grips don't move around when you're riding. Compressed air removes the grips without much risk of damage.

As mentioned here in a recent thread, use silicone tape to finish bar tape. No adhesive means it doesn't leave residue, but it adheres to itself strongly to hold the tape in place.

If you have a clamp-on FD that interferes with your chosen model of bottle cage, spare valve nuts make excellent shims.

Outline cleats with a white-out pen before changing them. Very easy to align the new ones the same exact way. Note, this was more useful when shoes didn't have markings on them.

As for the glove thing, I didn't learn that until I complained to someone about the ends wearing holes on them and someone said "Just pull them off like this".

Only loosen the top strap of your cycling shoes when removing them. Chances are you can get them back on that way and won't have to worry about adjusting the other straps.

Spit on the contact patches of your heart rate strap will get it to register sooner.
shifting to the small sprocket before removing the wheel - every pro does this when they flat - just common courtesy and speeds up the wheel change for the tech.
I outline the old cleat with black sharpie before I remove it - no one sees marker on the soles of your shoes.
I trickle water on my HRM contacts - either from the tap or from my water bottle, depending on where I am. Spitting on the contacts is just gross.