Old 11-27-23, 11:59 AM
BMC_Kid 

Liked 534 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledog1
just so there's no question about WHAT the slippage is that I'm talking about.

the "steerer" tube is tightened as the upper race/headset and is tight -------- doesn't move. the cap then tightens in from the top, no issue with slippage with the headtube, in the alum finish I might add, not powd ct'd in a color. only the stem, when slipped over top and tightened at the desired ht does the STEM slip/move side to side hoiz around if pulled enough after tightening and the bar intact. the issue I see is the texture of the steerer tube shouldn't allow the stem to slip/rotate around the st tube when tightened. most steerer tubes on forks have dull/matte finishes in the alum or CF. once they are tight enough, rotation ONLY happens with a LOT of pressure, such as an impact.

I'm thinking the best approach is a locktight or light spray glue to the surface. otherwise, it may be tight enough with normal riding ---------- I'm more concerned about the torque when turning with vibration and higher speeds.

anyone else had the issue I have with the "rotating" stem once tight with the bar installed and putting pressure on it?
I’ve never thought much about the stem rotating as it’s never been an issue, for me. So I just went and tried to rotate the bars and it took quite a bit of force on the bars with the wheel between my legs. I mean a lot. So, I tightened the stem bolts a precise smidge and tried again and it didn’t budge. I didn’t use my torque wrench but I did when I installed it, so it might have loosened a bit. Or I might have exceeded the torque specs when I just tightened it. The only way to find out is to retorque to specs and try to see if it rotates again. Unfortunately, I don’t have my torque wrench with me right now.