Old 12-05-23, 02:51 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
My 80s Raleigh also has a diving bell cable stop along the chainstay. The frame did come with the correctly sized stepdown ferrule to fit in the cable stop, only problem is that it doesn't fit modern index derailleur housing, the housing is too fat. I 'solved' the problem by using another stepdown ferrule and another regular ferrule. Indexes fine so...maybe I don't mess with it.

And I've also got to figure out the appropriate stepdown for CLB brakes, the ferrule and housing is too large to fit.
I haven't had an 80's Raleigh, but the older Raleighs that have come to my garage have all had something that seems to be uniquely British. It looks kind of like the Italian diver's helmet, but it has different dimensions.

These have a 5 mm inner diameter. The 619 ferrule (without the stepdown) from bulgie's part's diagram fits it with a vintage steel coil cable. For indexed shifting, I hadn't been able to find anything that fit perfected until I stumbled into an arrangement with [MENTION=512318]oneclick[/MENTION] who machined the ferrule in the picture above for me.