Old 12-06-23, 08:27 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 671 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
In case having Campy part numbers might help in your searches:

On a full-campy bike, that piece of housing from chainstay to mech (with the proper ferrules at each end) would be part number 617 if the bike has a #621 "diver's helmet" chainstay braze-on.
For bikes with no braze-on, they made the housing stop clip #636, and it doesn't use a step-down ferrule. The housing for that came with matching "plain" ferrules at both ends, part #622

This is from Catalog 17a ('79 I think).

I don't remember ever seeing a part number for just the ferrules. I wouldn't be surprised if they did sell bags of ferrules to distributors or bike shops, but they didn't call them out in the catalog, at least not in the NR-SR era or earlier. I stopped paying attention to Campy after Record-C came out.

Oh wait here it is, in Catalog 18 ('84 I think). Plain ferrule is #619, step-down is #620. Sorry for writing the above out of ignorance, but I'm not going to delete it now, after all that typing.

Only the pickiest concours judge would take off points for not having the period-correct ferrules, but if you want it to look excruciatingly correct, please avoid anything made of plastic, or black or any color besides "silver" (broadly defined). Campy's were dull-plated steel, but a silver aluminum ferrule could be acceptable, at least it wouldn't make me want to hurl. They're thicker-wall though, so they don't look completely right to us old guys who grew up with tutto Campagnolo. Please for God's sake don't use one that says Jagwire or <shudder> Shimano on it...

Kidding! Well, mostly. I do have a small stash of actual Campy-brand cables, housings and ferrules that I keep for total period-correct builds. But for most bikes, just making it work is good enough.
I usually don’t care if it looks perfect, but I do want the cables to work perfectly and last forever (not asking much, I know!) lol. Sizing is based on housing OD, braze on ID, and the length of the skinny end that fits into the braze on. You simply should measure it and buy accordingly. Also, I really like machined ferrules.