View Single Post
Old 12-06-23, 12:39 PM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts
Next up is what may be a 1982 Trek 730. This is a frameset that I haven't been able to definitively identify yet. The serial number is 025360, which makes it a 1982 Trek 730 according to the vintage Trek website, but there are a couple things that don't align with that ID.
First, there is a second Trek decal on the downtub, which the 730 did not have. Usually only the very high end Treks had that decal treatment. Second, there are double eyelets on the fork, as well as a mid-fork braze on, presumably for a rack. There are no double eyelets on the rear dropouts, however. So maybe the fork was replaced? But the paint appears original, and it would have been a hell of a color match if the fork was swapped. Could be a 720 fork from the same year, which had the same color. But that still doesn't explain the downtube decal....

I have not really dove into this frame yet. There is a dent on the top tube consistent with a handlebar hitting it. Does not appear to me to be serious or concerning. I checked the stem to make sure it was not seized, but that is the extent of work I have done to this. Have not even wiped it down.

I could be convinced to trade this for a range of things, preferably in a 59-61cm seat tube range.