pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 1,995 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I think that’s my typo. Should be 20-34.
So I wonder why there are so few in this age group?
Just a guess here: In the 20-34 group, you're only going to get dedicated cyclists (racers and some who are in training for, well, whatever). Why spend money on cycling GPS and Strava subscriptions when you want to pay rent, save for a house, spend time with children or significant other? Be honest: how many people are going to post a Strava ride with your 6-12 year old kids? Do you want to be KOM or Tortoise of the Mountain (TOM)?

As children leave home, more people have time for things like bikes and associated toys. Even if you're not going for a Cat 4 crit next spring, you may have some spare cash and spare time you can invest in coaching and serious training. May as well post those.

By the time grandchildren come, for most riders it's back to KOM or TOM rides. Many people become more frightened riding on roads with motorized vehicles, or decide the P.T. and/or knee or hip replacements aren't worth riding off-road.

TBH, most of my posted Strava rides are to tilt the heat-maps so local planners will see, hey, somebody's riding these roads a lot. Maybe that'll tilt road maintenance, plans for shoulders, etc. just a bit to make my riding more comfortable.