View Single Post
Old 12-07-23, 01:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,725 Times in 4,296 Posts
As from the information listed on our site, the max pressure for the Hunt 30 Carbon Gravel Disc rim with a 38c tyre is 40 psi, when fitting the tyre you went to double (and potentially higher) than that of the rims max pressure rating, in addition you also went to 20 psi above the tyres max pressure rating of 60 psi. For future tyre fits on our and other manufactures wheelsets, please work to the max rim / tyre pressure and work to the lower of the two units when fitting your tubeless tyres.
Maximum tire pressure for this rim is 100psi when used with 25-28mm tires. 100 psi is more than enough for any rider on road. Click here to listen to a podcast exploring the science of why lower pressures were found to be faster by pro teams. Maximum tire pressures for other tyre sizes: 30mm - 32mm do not exceed 70psi, 33mm do not exceed 50psi, 35-45mm do not exceed 45psi, 45-50mm do not exceed 40psi. Please do not exceed the maximum pressure stated on your tire. Suitable for tires from 23mm up to 50mm wide.
The second quoted verbiage is from Hunt's site, so yeah it mostly does say what the Hunt rep claims(slight difference in numbers).
...at the same time, I ride 43mm tires on my gravel bike and have 0 interest in running them under 45psi. I am 220# and 45psi is right at what I set my tires at because anything lower makes them sometimes feel sluggish or wobbly in random moments of riding.

Also, every tubeless tire I have seated has required a shot of air that well exceeds the psi I will actually use for riding. The burst seats the tire. Apparently these Hunt rims, which are hooked, cant handle a burst to seat the tire?