View Single Post
Old 12-13-23, 01:00 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
I have a pair of Origin8 Supercell tires left over from when I was riding a 26" fatbike. They exhibited awful self-steering unless inflated to the full 20 PSI. They're heavy, too, but they are the quietest fatbike tires I've had for pavement.
ok that makes sense,
a MUP connects several trails in my area, so when on the paved I get to deal with the
wirrRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrr in time with my cadence.
On the bright side, walkers and runners know I'm coming... 500 feet away (slightly embarahassing)
(I sound like an off road 4x4 pickup)

Originally Posted by cegerer
Low pressure (5-10psi) was initially for riding in sand. On the trail, I started at 20psi, but it was too bouncy in many sections and I lowered it to about 15psi. 20psi seems great for pavement but I don't really ride it on pavement.

What I've noticed is actual diagonal 'stress' lines on the sidewalls that were not there when I bought the bike. Bike was used but had been stored unused in an air-conditioned storage unit for 4 years. So I'm wondering if the tires (or at least the sidewalls) have become slightly brittle from age?

These diagonal lines were not there when I bought it. They are around most of both tires. Since I'm converting it to tubeless, I suppose I'll find out if this is an issue caused by the tubes soon enough.

Yup those stress lines will happen with the lower pressures
(same lines that the dragsters get)
I've noticed that gumwall tires have the colorful layer that goes bad sooner for some reason (or it's more noticable)

I know that the cheapie knobbies (like the set I have) are heavier/more rolling resistance/more self steering.
But my cheap a- um... butt, gets buyers remorse if I get new tires before the old ones ware out.

I'm due for a set of jumbo jims.... so... one of these days.

Edit: apparently there is a sale and my cheap self just bought a set.... so update in a week or so.

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 12-13-23 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse: