Old 12-13-23, 02:25 PM
Ric Stern

Bikes: Handsling AIROevo and CEXevo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Untrained women and men. Quite common in exercise physiology studies.

I sure wish those experts could point to studies to back up their "heavy lifting is optimal for endurance" claims. If those studies exists, they are quite hard to find. The few studies I have found say those claims are wrong.

I tend to discount expert opinions, unless they can bring the data.
Interesting, so on the one hand you want data, but on the other you don't want to listen to people that perform such research, which seems somewhat confusing?

Anyway, we already know that heavy strength training has greatest effects on e.g. strength, and musculo-tendinous stiffness, etc. i can't off the top of my head think of any research that compares low weight to heavy weight (or high reps to low reps) and it's effect on endurance performance. you'd have to do a literature search on such. We also already know that heavy strength work has greatest effects on an ageing population as this increases hormonal response and shear forces help reduce e.g. osteoporosis, reverses sarcopenia, and keeps neurological function working correctly. and the evidence shows that heavy strength work increases cycling and running performance (i just can't think of any research off the top of my head that compares low weight/high reps with high weight/low reps. i'll have a think, in the meantime i'll be lifting heavy to increase my health and performance - which has happened with high weight/low reps and not with low weight/high reps - albeit i realise that this is just anecdote).