View Single Post
Old 12-16-23, 09:40 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
People with cancer call stress before a test “scanxiety,” because we get CT scanned, MRI’d, bone scanned, PET scanned, etc.
But the same thing happens with stress before blood tests, ECGs, and yes, stress tests.
Before surgery, I “failed” my otherwise normal ECG, diagnosed with bradycardia.
“I ride a bike” unfailed me.
Anyhow, the stress you are feeling now is unfortunately all too normal.
(As to your last question, Dr. Paul D. White, one of the founders of the American Heart Association, advocate of exercise for prevention of heart attacks and strokes, avid bicyclist, died of a stroke - at 87. A local bike path is named after him.)
-mr. bill
r.e. 1st bold -- This PERSON with cancer actually never heard of scanxiety but it sounds cool.
r.e. 2nd bold -- I walked into the ECG room for scan before my bilateral Orchiectomy. Nurse had me lay down, affixed the leads and turned on the recorder. She expressed concern because she could not get a good reading reason was my heart rate was 32bpm. I had to carefully get up, move around and when 39bpm was hit was told to lay back down. Every time my Anesthesiologist would come in for her/his intro before surgery the nurses would have to inform them that "His BP and HR are normally low due to bicycling and marathons."

Originally Posted by bblair
Due to a high calcium CT score (613) my doc is sending me for a stress echo test. I'm 67 yo and getting stressed about the stress test.
Like many of us here, I ride 4-5000 miles a year, spend my vacation riding up mountains and wear a heart rate monitor. Sure, I am slower than 20 years ago, but no chest pain or limitations. Actually, I am enjoying cycling now more than ever.
So, bottom line, has anyone here been fit, totally asymptomatic and still "failed" a stress test?
P.S. Suddenly, my tinnitus and enlarged prostate don't bother me any more.
r.e. bold -- Tinnitus has always bothered me because "It was there" whereas my Prostate Cancer diagnosis was never expected before DRE exam and BIOPSY. I was totally asymptomatic

Originally Posted by bblair
Actually, he did "find something" on the calcium score, which is why he wanted to do the stress test. I have not had that done and am waiting for a call to schedule.
I did ride 43 miles yesterday and plan to today also. I don't love a cold headwind, but 53 degrees in December in Ohio, ya gotta take advantage.
My doctor FELT the cancer when she performed her DRE but of course could not confirm that it was PCa. From that moment of being told "SOMETHING is WRONG" I expected to be told "YOU HAVE CANCER" so waiting for the BIOPSY RESULTS did not cause stress since being a pessimist I expected the worse -- metastasized PCa. Luckily my PCa hadn't metastasized BUT it is GLEASON 10 -- the worse biopsy pathology results.

Take a CHILL PILL and do some more riding. GOOD LUCK

p.s. -- hours before my bilateral Orchiectomy, I bicycled to the starting point for our group's ride that day and told the guys that "my boys will be leaving town later in the day" and explained what it meant.