View Single Post
Old 12-21-23, 06:14 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you have noticed your fitness level declining after age 65, not associated with injury or disease, when did that occur? If you're still hammering out big miles and high speeds, what's your "secret"? I realize genetics plays a role here but I am interested in environmental factors mostly.
It depends on what level of training/performance you are talking about. You are kidding yourself if you think your absolute top end potential doesn't decline at a much younger age. Look at pro racers, how many do you see over 40 that are not declining?

That said, you can maintain a pretty high level of performance and certainly ride a lot of mileage into very advanced age. I felt some fairly significant changes at 45 when it came to my maximum performance. I had to work harder to get to a given level and didn't have the same edge, but I still could do long miles and can today at 72. I lately I mostly ride MTB (daily) and still ride fairly challenging trails. I rode my first coast to coast tour at 56 and still could do another at my current age. I'd like to think that barring some major health problem I could do another one 10 years from now, but we don't get any guarantees for the future.

One thing that helps a lot is that these days injuries that would be the end of a riding career and be fixed with surgery. Thus far I have avoided knee and hip surgery though.

Edit to note: I don't buy the "must spin high cadence" to save knees orthodoxy folks preach. I have always used a variety of cadences for a variety of conditions. Buddys always said my knees would be shot at an early age. At 72 my knees are still intact after a huge number of miles on and off the road.

Last edited by staehpj1; 12-21-23 at 06:21 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: