View Single Post
Old 12-22-23, 11:28 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
“Group” and “groupset” have been used interchangeably for the entirety of the time I’ve been riding bikes seriously. That’s from the late 70s onward.
You forgot the "o" as in "groupo".

You, however, are missing the point. Bike Gremlin (and myself) was saying that the bottom bracket is an integral part of the crankset. Not from the standpoint of that the bottom bracket is, or should be, sold with the crank arms but from the stand point of the bottom bracket is necessary for the crankset to used on a bicycle.
The word is called "drivetrain".

No, I didn’t miss your point. I’m saying that you and others are making mountains out of molehills. Sheldon Browns page isn’t perfect. There’s lots there to disagree with. The point is “disagreement” not that the information is bad or incorrect. The same applies to Bike Gremlin’s page. It isn’t perfect but it exists and it’s not as horrible as the OP makes it out to be. Were 6 speed cassettes made? Yes. Are they made any more? No. Are 6 and 7 speed cogs and/or spacers the same width? No. Are they damned close? I’d say 0.05mm isn’t enough to quibble about.

Again, if you can do better, do so! My career was in chemistry. If I used an old method that didn’t give reliable results, I didn’t complain to the method developer that the method should be better. Often that would be impossible because the original method was developed decades earlier. I improved it by developing a better method. If the developer of the method was still around, I’d work with them on making the method better.

Same idea applies here. Either develop a better method or work with the developer to make the product better.
Nice use of whataboutism. If you were to rename the elements, I'm positive you would be laughed out of the room.