Old 12-24-23, 08:37 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,996 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Now 71. I spent most of 2022 providing 24/7 home hospice care for my wife (she passed from cancer) and did very little riding, or much of anything else, for that matter. It is exhausting, but a labor of love.
I've found that it's much more difficult to get back into shape now. At this age, it seems like a "use it or lose it" scenario. I'm determined to get back into some sort of conditioning. I know I'll never be as fast as I once was, nor capable of covering the distances I did. A lifetime of working in the auto repair field has taken a toll on my lower back, and arthritis is settling into my hands. A knee, severely injured in 1976, has finally just about worn out, but I'm putting off the replacement surgery for as long as I can. My neighbor, who is 10 years younger, rides with me on his e-bike. It's funny, he's always chasing me on the flats (sometimes I think he's just drafting to save his battery!) and I'm chasing him on the climbs.
On the plus side, when I filled out my forms at the pharmacy to get my flu shot and Covid booster this year, the pharmacy tech did a double take and told me I didn't look my age. Like an old car that has just been detailed, it looks good on the outside, but just don't lift the hood!
sorry for your loss. my wife has been fighting the fight since the beginning of 2020 we always say 2020 worst year ever....cancer sux. get your knee done asap. you will heal better at 71 than at 75.....keep on keeping...
Likes For jadmt: