Old 12-24-23, 06:57 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4577 Post(s)
Liked 1,722 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
The OP asked for a good starting point based on general rule of thumb guidelines for saddle selection. While there are subtle nuances to picking the right saddle, a good starting point doesn't have to be overly confusing.

IMO sit bone width matters. Riders (myself included) do actually use them while riding a bike. Yes, it is absolutely correct that in a forward-leaning position your hips hinge forward (at least they are supposed to) and we engage more with the ramus (which is narrower than the sit bones). Since we roll forward and back on the saddle as we change position, you ideally want a saddle shape and width that supports your sit bones and your ramus.

As a general rule of thumb I would start by looking at saddles around 130mm in width. You could probably tolerate a more narrow saddle, but options below 129mm are scarce.

As for the saddle shape, Selle SMP is the only brand I know of that makes saddles that properly support the sit bones, the ramus, and the natural curvature of the pelvis.

Check out the Composit if you like no padding, the Evolution if you like a little padding, or the Stratos if you like a little more padding. As a starting point this should give you some good options. Good luck!
It isn't confusing how to choose a saddle - you have to try some. What is confusing is all the fake science connected to saddle selection.

And you don't need your sit bones "supported", you need the sit bones isolated from all the soft tissue everywhere else.
Likes For Kontact: