Old 12-28-23, 11:41 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Speaking from experience I'm going to state that sit bone width matters but only when combined with the appropriate saddle shape, which I feel is far more important than width.
Riding style and style of bike matter too.
I agree that saddle shape is a very important variable and one that is often overlooked. Selle SMP saddles tick all the boxes for me personally. The curvature cradles and supports the pelvis as you roll forward. Looking at the saddle from the top there is a gradual taper, which is very friendly on the inner thighs (i.e. no saddle rub).

I find saddles like the Specialized Power, with its wide flare and not-so-gradual taper (looking at it from the top) to be very uncomfortable in terms of inner thigh rub.

I'm also not a fan of flat saddles in general because they introduce an element of "self-selection". Flat saddles allow the rider to self-select the fore/aft position on the saddle, which, in turn, can compromise the quality of fit. I do not agree that using the whole saddle is a good thing (the "advantage" most commonly cited by users of flat saddles).

To fans of the flat saddle I ask: If self-selection on the saddle is such a good idea why not apply that same logic to pedals by putting everyone on flat pedals? I'm sure fans of flat saddles will try to educate me as to why the comparison between saddles and pedals is silly... but it's not when you really think about the purpose and benefit of clipless pedals within the context of bike fit.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 12-28-23 at 11:47 AM.