Old 12-28-23, 04:31 PM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts
Couple questions on an old Routens.

I picked up this Jo Routens for the wheelset. I was having a hard time finding a pair of campy HF hubs laced to silver clinchers, and it would have cost me about as much to build a set as I spent on this bike. Plus, I love the constructeurs, so it felt like a win win.

It seems clear that this was not top-notch constructeur-level Routens. It's a nice bike but it looks more like a production model than custom job. I figured it was something he had built under his name, and I have found one bike in the past that had the same color and details. But I'm seeking a little more info. Questions are below, but I also welcome any comments. I'd like to learn more about the bike. I could also be talked into selling this (minus the wheels or with a different wheelset), since it is a little small for me.

1. Anyone have a guess on the date or date range? I'm thinking mid 70s, but that's just a guess. Components have been either partially or completely replaced, so they probably aren't the best clue, but the saddle is stamped as a 67.
2. Why is the bb shell and brake bridge not lugged? Routens was known for filet brazing, but this doesn't have any of his hallmarks. Could it be internally lugged?
3. Why is there a mounting stud on the non-drive side chainstay, but nothing corresponding on the drive side? Maybe a light mount?
4. Anyone know what derailleurs would have come "stock" on these? Since it's probably a production bike and not a custom job, I presume they all came out mostly the same. Nervar cranks are conceivably original but the Suntour drivetrain seems too un-French for this bike.
5. Any idea what the original stem would have been? The one that's in it is an SR that looks improperly sized. It will need to be swapped.

One day better photos will come. This was the best I could do with the sun going down and the parts hung back on the bike. I didn't want to put much time into it because I think it will need to be fully rebuilt.