Old 01-04-24, 05:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked 6,032 Times in 3,081 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your accident and residual suffering. No one wants to the the cautionary tale but your message is important as well as the well-wishes.

I have a close friend who was an avid mountain biker that had an unknown mishap doing a single track decent and had a brain bleed and almost died. He gave up the sport except for some very mild gravel riding and is a full time marathoner. A friend’s son also crashed while mountain biking and fell on his face, like you, and lost an eye and almost lost the vision in the other eye since there is some type of sympathetic relationship between the eyes and brain. He has given it up as well.

I mountain biked for 10 years after being an avid roadie the prior 20. Absolutely loved the technical challenge and physicality of mountain biking. It was a rush executing good downhill runs. Had my share of ‘offs’ but only one requiring a few months off the bike. During that time I had a self inflicted back injury lifting something too heavy and had a compressed disc which had a whole slew of issues. As a result, my back always hurt for days after each run time out, so I gave it up and went back to my first love, road biking.

Heal fast, take it easy and no more object lessons for yourself or anyone else.