View Single Post
Old 01-07-24, 07:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
... weight lifting, it's been on my "need to start doing that" list for about 2 years and I just can't get my butt in gear. I'm curious to know what type of lifting you do and how frequently, as weight lifting is an aspect of training about which I know very little.
For completely different reasons I use a leg press at a gym a few times a week. If I can do 10 reps and a few minutes later can do 10 reps again, if I am at that stage for a few weeks I add one more weight. I do this during winter. During summer, I try to do this periodically but less often, and when I go less often I find I am reducing weight. And the following fall and winter am trying to increase it again.

And occasionally do an hour on the stair master. After an initial 15 minutes of warming up I set the speed at the pace that gives me a pretty high heart rate, but a rate well below my calculated max. I do not have heart problems, but I do not want to develop any from overdoing it is my guide here. I wear hiking boots and ankle weights on the stair master.

Several years ago I saw someone at the gym that must have been trying to get ready to pass a physical test. I saw her a few times at the gym wearing full firefighter gear on the stair master. She was not breathing supplied air but was wearing the air tank, etc.

I am not a racer and have never aspired to be. I am at an age where maintaining muscle mass and bone strength takes work, that is why I do it. (I rode my first brevet at age 65.)