Thread: Crank angle
View Single Post
Old 01-07-24, 09:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
I'm like 79PMooney - I like my pedals close to the frame, same distance from the frame, and with front chainline that matches the rear chainline. Needless to say, I also need my chainstays to be symmetrical. After setting up a few bikes this way (wasn't quick or easy!) I could definitely run my fastest and jump my highest. So the benefit was clearly in my head, but that doesn't mean it was not totally worth my time!

Seriously, pedaling did feel better but I don't have any rationale for why that is the case.

As well, I would not attempt to hammer the crank arm to alter its shape. If it is aluminum it might crack. If it is carbon or other composite it is very likely to crack especially as it will be given cyclical stressing (due to pedaling) after being so assaulted. Cyclical stressing can take out a stressed aluminum chainset, as well. If it is steel it will probably not be brought closer to fracture, but I would want to align the crank axle with the pedal axle after the "repair," and that just adds stress to the steel arm. Besides, you will probably never get them actually parallel without making your own jig to control the work. I had a wobbly pedal on a bike about 60 years ago, and I could not stand it.

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-07-24 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Proofreading for spelling, etc.
Likes For Road Fan: