Old 01-07-24, 07:11 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
I watched the parts again where he's trying to figure out why the RD wasn't working. He said he tried 3 batteries and it wouldn't still respond to the shifters or the "app". I did roll my eyes at that point, that he was dependent on a battery and app for it's use. The RD wasn't damaged, he was trying to move it manually but it just wouldn't move without being told to by the software. It wasn't getting the message to shift. Yes, I said it ! Not a ringing endorsement for the technology. I see similar things happen in pro road and cyclocross racing.

A regular RD would have worked in that situation since the mud didn't damage anything mechanically, only the ability of the electronics to function properly. That anyone would put up with that is beyond me. Bicycles need not be so complicated. Nor cars, nor anything. Rant over. Apologies for the sidetrack.
Ya, using an electric derailleur seems goofy, but there you go, probably possibly contractual, or just used to them. One could damage a hanger or derailleur anyhow, and internal gear systems would probably handle this stuff better.
Likes For djb: