Old 01-09-24, 05:50 PM
South Pa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A few Trainer setup questions

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of smart trainers and even fitness exercising. I've kept fit and addressed minor heart issues for years with my business, which has kept me climbing, crawling lifting and generally 'working out' for many years. However, I'm now ready to move on from the business, and thus am recommended to aerobic exercise to maintain my health.

I've been Bike riding outdoors for several months now, but cold, heat (gets extremely hot and humid here) and general busy-ness keep me from the consistency I need. Thus the need for an indoor smart trainer.

I've selected the Tacx Neo 3M as the trainer of choice and have a few questions. I'll add to this thread as more occur. I also think Zwift is the app I'll be using.

I'm extremely technically adept to the extent that I test software, build computers, build and administer my own business networks, etc, but I'm having trouble finding information on how to set all of this up and what set up is best in terms of performance. I'm thinking that a high-specced computer running win 10, with both trainer and computer connected to their own router is as good as it gets.

I have a computer ready to go for the Zwift set up that exceeds their 'optimal system requirements'. I intend to use a 55" TV, which the computer will connect to via HDMI (and in fact already is).

The two questions I currently have are:

1. The Neo 3m has an adapter that allows for wifi or wired network access. Does this allows me to stream Zwift through my network or wifi connection as opposed to my mobile device connection? Are there other uses?

I've read that I should use a cassette that is the same speed/specs as my bike. My current bike is a Verve 3 Disc.

2. Do trainers require a special cassette type different from bikes or can I order the same cassette I have on my Verve 3 and use whatever adapter is required to install it? The rear cassette on the bike is a Shimano HG200,11-36, 9 speed.

If I'm wrong about a computer/network setup being the highest performing setup, I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Cost isn't a factor.

The Neo 3M is supposed to be available in the US in February.

Thanks for any help!