BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
As others have said, you don't need both feet to touch the ground from the saddle. If you set your saddle height that way, your saddle will be MUCH too low! You should never be on the saddle when you come to a stop.

A good rule of thumb for saddle height is this: sitting on the saddle where you'd normally sit, set the height so you can JUST put your heel on the pedal with the pedal as far away as possible, and your leg straight. That way, with your foot on the pedal so that the ball of your foot is directly over the spindle, your leg will be slightly bent.

Once you've done that, if the saddle STILL seems too low (i.e. slammed down onto the top tube, then, yeah, the bike is too large for you.

Regarding that chart - it's really just guidelines. The length of your legs relative to your overall height is the key.
Ok, I have the seat adjusted now and this is definitely the right size bike for me. I followed your instructions and all is well. Thank you.

Now its time to dial in my stem reach and rise. According to the one picture Ive seen from the catalog, the Cinelli stem and bars that's on there is not original. Neither are the bars. From what I gather the original stem is a 120 Nitto Pearl, black. I dont know what bars it came with originally but I would like to know. If anyone has a 1986, 1987 Nashbar catalog with that bikes specs in it, that would be incredible. The date on the bike is December 1986 so it may be built with 1986 or 1987 specs. Anyone know where I could see a catalog? Much appreciated.

Im working my way around the bike in my free time making a list of everything I need for the restoration. I am embarrassed to remember that I once considered stripping and painting this bike. I now realize the absurdity of that thought. The more time I spend with her, the more I love the color and 80s awesomeness.

This week Im ordering new tubies in blackwall, tire glue going with the Mastic because I understand that it can be moved if I need to unmount the tire and replace it while on the road.. Thats crucial.

I will post up progress pictures as I go along in case anyone is interested.
Likes For BikePower: