View Single Post
Old 01-11-24, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Everything is not about Chemistry alone; if you were to say that everything is about science, I’d agree.
Definition of chemistry
  1. the branch of science that deals with the identification of the substances of which matter is composed; the investigation of their properties and the ways in which they interact, combine, and change; and the use of these processes to form new substances.
Chemistry is the study of matter and, last time I checked everything is composed of matter. Even the thoughts that we clever monkeys generate are the result of chemical reactions inside our brain. Typing our ideas is the result of a chemical reaction moving the muscles to type on a keyboard made of chemicals. The reaction of the buttons on the keyboard are due to movement of electrons due to the excitation of the contacts in the board. If I speak my words, the words are generated by chemical reactions in my vocal cords and the words you hear are due to chemical reactions in your ear.

Yes, everything is about chemistry. Even the endless discussion about chain maintenance are about chemistry. Especially discussions about chain maintenance. Wax is a chemical. The way wax interacts with the chain is about chemistry. The way the wax lubricates the chain is about chemistry. The way the chain reacts to lubrication (or lack thereof) is about chemistry. Same holds for oil, olive oil, or bacon fat.

​​​​​​​But another thread about waxing chains; I don’t know even Brazilians that fixated about waxing.

If a chain is getting rusty, toss it and buy a new one! [Clean every component it touched.]
Chain waxing…and basic chain maintenance in general…should be simple. For some reason everybody and their brother wants to make it into something needlessly mysterious and complicated with more levels of ritual than a full on Latin Mass.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!