View Single Post
Old 01-11-24, 01:39 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Liked 419 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I have a Garmin Varia blinking away on the rear, and depending on conditions, I have up to two blinkies going on the front.

I got the helmet after realizing that most of my attire was predominantly black. Even my late-fall/winter jersey is an "Overcast Sky" grey, and my warmest bibs are a "Worn Pavement" grey.

I agree, as both a driver and a cyclist who notices other cyclists, lights are best for getting noticed from further away (I personally think a fast blinky is the best kind of blinky). Then reflectivity, then bright colors last - they're only helpful when there's actually light, and that can be hard to find at this time of year. That said, if a bright yellow helmet helps a car notice me half a second sooner, or a bright yellow glove gets them to notice my signal earlier, then I'm all for those pieces of kit.
You're not off base. We seem to be in an era where trendy means monochrome for cycling clothes and bikes themselves. "We have Special Black, Anthracite, Bleak Mood, Dusk Fog, Tarnished Silver and Despair. Plenty of choices!"

Trying to single-handedly bend the curve, as I bought one red and one yellow bike last year. :-)