View Single Post
Old 01-14-24, 03:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I can’t find a list of solvents that aren’t allowed in California so I’m not sure what other solvents you have available. Acetone, MEK, and denatured alcohol are not good choices as they are too polar to work on chain lubricants. You might try Klean-Strip Painter’s Solvent that seems to be available in San Diego. It’s a mixture of acetone, methyl acetate, and mineral spirits.
Orange county is regulated by both the state as well as South Coast Air Quality Management District, which does not apply to San Diego, which I visit almost every month (between firm HQ and friends). The MSDS for what you linked has > 80% acetone, > 10% methyl acetate, and < 5% OMS. I have used pure acetone before, which was practically useless against Shimano factory grease, so I am not sure how much better this would work.

They also seem to carry xylene. Both of these mixtures have a higher hazard level than straight mineral spirits in terms of flammability and toxicity. Use gloves, of course, but change the gloves often since both of these solvents are marginally incompatible with nitrile gloves.
I wear the noticeably thick 6 mil to 8 mil nitrile gloves when I do garage organic chemistry and try to work fast without rushing.

If your “California-specific” mineral spirits is the “green” version, that’s a surfactant in water with mineral spirits and is basically worse than just about any water soluble degreaser.
The regulations must have changed again in 2024. Even the green, "slow-to-dissolve" version is no longer available in Orange County or San Diego. So I have ordered another liter of pure OMS from the art supply store.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 01-14-24 at 08:15 PM.