View Single Post
Old 01-15-24, 06:56 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Liked 368 Times in 274 Posts
The triathlon circus comes here and also the Canadian national cycling championships was here last Sept.
The course goes right by my doorstep so I can't not see them. They also have an amateur fondo, but that got rained on. LOL.
So they had junior and senior races for both genders. I "raced" all 4 in 2 spots on the course. A medium hill just a block west of me and a 1.5 mile flat part. Both have a close path I can try pace them, on the hill I'm right beside them. I was on my fastest bike, with SA XL-RD5w. LOL. I did both 3 times with all 4 classes.
The 3 slower classes I could keep up for 100 yards or 2, with favorable tail wind, 23.5 to 24.5 mph. Yah I know they would be at 50% effort, but I don't have a peloton either.

So on the downhill with the men, I tried to time my start when they were 100 feet away. The 2nd pass I went too soon an spoiled it.
The last time I got it perfect and got going 33.5 mph. They were taking it easy at 37 or so. So they went by about 8 feet per second. One rider finally gave me a thumbs up. LOL. That pass I actually felt some slipstream and the hum of the CF wheels, only about 6 feet from them. Starting in 2020 the city poled off that traffic lane for the summer.

The race was a brutal course of 20 laps, 120 miles I think. Flat with corners for a mile then this hill by me, then another twisty mile up and back down. Then a flat 1.5 miles to a steep hill with medium steep another 1/4 mile to the finish line. Over 100 of the 180 riders bonked out. It was a pretty hot day as well. I talked to one of them while awaiting the finish.
The next day they had a criterium on a 2x2 block square course. Races were up to 45 min. plus 3 laps. I went to watch and looking for a spot I said to people on a curve that it's dangerous there. Sure enough, right there, half way in the men's race one guy got off tracked and braked but still rammed a lady. She went down like a tree and her head smacked the sidewalk. She didn't pass out somehow.
The park that's part of the tri course is being refurbed the next 3 years, so no race. Gets fewer spectators every year anyway.
I actually had more difficulty pacing those girls, but their race is barely 90 minutes. LOL.

>> And back in 2014/15 the Tour d' Alberta attracted about 20 of the best guys, including young Peter Sagan who won I think. There was a city course, time trial and 4 days on the highways, I saw some of both. One of those days I rode my new Rohloff tour bike farther than they did, 108 miles. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-16-24 at 02:47 PM.