Old 01-19-24, 02:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
It leads to the situation where some common works that were usually done in house with low costs, require now sending the bike to the producer for repairs at 2-3 times higher costs. This is a very aggressive and unfair push followed by many brands, not only Canyon.
Some people might quibble with "unfair" since they presume both sides of a commercial transaction have access to similar levels of information. I think that position is a bit far-fetched, since I've never seen a large company provide "open-kimono" pricing and profit information about their manufacturing and business practices until you get well into seven or eight digit transactions, and even then, that kind of disclosure usually involves a very large corporation doing the procurement.

That said, perhaps "predatory" would be a better descriptor, with the seller (Canyon in this case) taking advantage of a poorly informed or uninformed purchaser. I mean, really, who goes into a bike shop and asks, "How much will it cost to replace a derailer hanger, or a stem, or bars, or a bottom bracket, three years after the sale?"
Likes For pdlamb: