View Single Post
Old 01-21-24, 08:49 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 37 Posts
I'm pretty sure any veteran night-cyclist knows there are two challenges to visibility while riding at night. One is to "see well" and the other to be "seen well."

These challenges can be mitigated be using a head/helmet mount light with spot light type throw. The single most important feature to be able to aim the light at off path dangers - such as other drivers, pedestrians or animals.
The other is to have typical forward mount flood style fixed mount light - and two totally redundant rear facing lights.

I always felt pretty comfortable with that setup but there was one thing missing. I was often getting blinded or rural roads by drivers who felt a need to "see" what was up the road without offering any respect.
So I often lashed a Solarforce 1000 lumen spot-beam flash light to my handlebar -using an old inner tube for the mount. When approaching drivers failed to dim their lights - I could swivel the flashlight with enough accuracy to "spray" the oncoming car until they got the message.

However, the single greatest feature a cyclist has on a night ride is his/her brain. Use it - never get too comfortable in the dark - and never assume some one sees you unless they signal you.

Likes For Richard Cranium: