Old 01-23-24, 05:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I’ve run the Vittoria Rally tubs on both mid-80’s bikes I built up. Medici Pro Strada and Tomassini Prestige, both using MAVIC GP-4 rims. I found that the tip on installing unglued, and pumped up to 110 psi, leaving them for a day to stretch makes the glue installation much easier. Old rim, as advised above is a great help. I kept an old rim just for this.

I did mount tubs up with some old dry adhesive left in place, with no issues such as roll-off or demounting.

But, this last time new tires were mounted on both bikes I took the time and effort to completely clean the rims of all built up adhesive, using Goof Off commercial strength cleaner. After watching sub-contractors clean HVAC ducts, existing wall/structure and most anything they had to have coatings applied to, on projects I oversaw as an on-site engineer.

Been riding tubs since 1979, back in the days of those rainbow hued tubes of Tubasti. For road bikes they have given me a smooth, grippy ride the entire time. Biggest gripe I had was the mess I made as a rookie tubular user, but taking my time and applying the adhesive to both the tub and the rim as well as in mounting them, got even this eye poker of a task under control.

Letting the adhesive dry first, then installing the tire works well for me. YMMV, etc. Using zip ties to keep things where they should be as the assembled tire/wheel has time to set has eliminated those annoying lumps and bumps that can drive you bats.

Apologies for the length, best wishes on getting things done to your satisfaction,

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-23-24 at 05:18 PM.