Old 01-25-24, 12:50 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
There's a street I commute on where the local authorities decided to paint bicycle stencils every so often down the middle of it.

Thank goodness that they are mostly faded away by now, because nobody knew what they were for..
That's a shame. Do they understand what the red octagons and yellow triangle signs are for? Do they understand what RR Crossing means when it's painted on the pavement? Sounds like you've identified a real need for some pretty basic education in your area.

Wonders:
Were the local authorities simply on drugs and trying to "do something"?
Are the markings simply a friendly reminder to drivers to look out for bikes?
Do the markings have any legal meaning (for cars or bikes)?
Are the markings meant to encourage bikers to take that particular street?
Do the markings mean bikes should take the center of the lane and not let cars pass?
1) No drugs necessary. They did do something.
2) Yes, and an indicator that bikes are allowed to take the center of the lane.
3) Yes. They indicate that bicycles are legal vehicles and can legally take the lane. Note that the contrary is not true. You are also allowed to ride on roads without sharrows.
4) Likely, or possibly a recognition that that is a popular street for cyclists.
5) They mean you are entitled to take the lane. If you want to move out of the lane to let cars pass, that is your option, but it is not required.

Personally, I ignore the markings, as does everyone else.
You do you, I suppose. Given that many of us pay enough attention to sharrows to discuss them from time to time, I guess we don't ALL ignore them.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton