View Single Post
Old 02-03-24, 03:45 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Did Steve ever sign your poster?

Thurlow used to show up for some of the fast group rides in my area when I was a racer-boy. We all suffered more when he did.
Alas, no. And Steve just recently moved up to Long Beach. He was a cool neighbor. Used to call him "Golden Boy".

I did the "Wednesday Worlds" ride once with Thurlow and some very fast people. I was the only guy on a steel bike. It was desperately fast once they got going. Fun as hell sitting in on such a huge & fast pack, but they were blitzing stop signs and one redlight through Camp Pendleton, as well as lane-taking, which I wasn't comfortable with at all. Thurlow looked like a pseudo-human animal the way he pedaled. He had a rounded, muscular back that seemed to contribute to his pedaling. Or perhaps his lungs are so huge, they were flexing his back up and down? Whichever it was, he was a beast.

I dropped off after the main northbound climb in Pendleton. If enough of we cyclists abuse the rules through Pendleton, the camp's commanding general can simply say, "Nope, no more civilian cyclists on my base." A few years later, we all had to get the ID cards to ride through Pendleton.

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-03-24 at 04:17 AM.
Likes For calamarichris: