View Single Post
Old 02-05-24, 05:09 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Would the term timing have application here?

You're timing your installed bearings to maximize putting clear race surfaces at positions of greatest stress, correct? Interesting concept.
Exactly. I think in this case, the term would be "clocked", and not timed. Proven on current bike, noticeable difference. Didn't know about the cone spalling until regreasing hubs, discovered, marked and positioned as noted, could feel the improvement in smoothness. I've had it that way for a couple years now, probably 10,000+ miles. I should buy new cones, but it's working for now, and I'm guessing to swap out the wheels this year due to sidewall wear. Note, the spalling may have been caused by my previous wheel bearing adjustments, I used to always leave the tiniest bit of slack in the adjustment. I now know this to be wrong, slack means radial load goes into 2 or 3 bearing balls on each side. No slack, and very slight preload, means load goes into about 180 degrees, or half of the bearing balls, on each side. Vastly improved durability. I did a deep dive on bearing theory.
Likes For Duragrouch: