Old 02-05-24, 09:39 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
Sadly, local bicycle advocacy groups seem to be of the opposite view and more and more of new bicycle infrastructure seems to be designed to push cyclists out of traffic with the goal of creating a false sense of security for those unwilling to learn to ride competently and safely on the roads. I see more and more safe routes being converted to outrageously dangerous "bike routes" which I now avoid like the plague. We are on a slippery slope of being pushed back off the roads by people pretending to be bicycle advocates. Scary. I apologize if I am being inappropriate here. I was curious to see what thoughts there were 50 years ago.
Originally Posted by shoota
I love these posts. I find it fascinating how little has really changed in 50 years.
There were many articles and letters about cyclists using public roads published in the 70s issues. I haven't read all of them and have posted very few. At times I think posting all of the articles (from 1960s forward) concerning bicycle safety, advocacy, education, and road use might be of interest.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite: