View Single Post
Old 02-06-24, 06:52 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
Great idea! Here is something to start with...Bontrager makes a Race Lite handlebar. Is this a decent bar for use with the FX? Is it worthwhile replacing the ISOZONE BAR?
If I understand things right, that 'isozone' bar has some filling in it that might dampen some vibration... I'm a bit skeptical, think it's a gimmick, and I'd have no problem, if it were me, replacing or modifying it if it isn't doing what I want it to do. What kind of riding are you doing with your FX? Are you on pavement or on trails? Because what whatever cockpit mods you'd make would depend on just that. I don't ride in the dirt, or gravel. I ride on pavement; and if that is you, and if you want to improve your speed, the best thing you can do is get your arms out of the wind. And, you do that by cutting the handlebars down (my bars are cut down to a total width of about 430mm), moving your shifters in as far as you like. You can also extend the stem and slam it as far down as you are comfortable with; in order to reduce your torso's angle. The race lite bar you refer to is slightly swept but doesn't have a rise to it. Which of course, also would, all other things being equal, also reduce your torso's angle. That said, cutting the bar down will result in your bike being a bit 'twitchier'... meaning that small moves with your hands on the bar makes a larger change than if the bar were longer.. You'd want that longer bar if you were riding on a twistie trail in the dirt and all that Hope this helps.