View Single Post
Old 02-06-24, 09:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,297 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by elfmachine
Hello. I installed a SunRace CNM84 chain on my bicycle last year and after many months it rusted so much that it got stiff. Pretty strange that it rusted so strongly despite being plated with chrome or nickel. I didn't have time to lubricate it so I rode my bike with an unlubricated chain which became more flexible after a ride. Now removed the chan and placed it into a bath with phosphoric acid with zinc aka rust remover to remove rust before lubricating it with teflon wax. After a while I started hearing popping sounds and after chain inspection I noticed that many links had cracks! Did rust remover somehow cause breakage or cracks developed from riding an unlubricated rusted chain?
Phosphoric acid is a surface rust remover and should not be used in any kind of bath. The iron in the chain will react with the phosphate which is what lead to your cracking. I suspect that the chain also cracked near the name embossing on the chain plates. The embossing introduces some micro fractures that the phosphoric acid can utilize to get into the metal. That can lead to widening of the cracks and the ultimate failure of the chain. It will look similar to the cracking caused by salt in the picture from this post

Although I would replace any chain that is has rusted stiff enough to not move any more, if you absolutely have to remove rust, use Evapo-Rust which is a chelating agent that doesn’t attack the iron in the chain. It’s far less hazardous than phosphoric acid and won’t damage parts.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!