Old 02-06-24, 09:37 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Those are very reasonable goals.
I just asked because there was a time when I was cycling through different folders in search of "the one"- a Strida clone, a carryme, and ended up on a Brompton and Xootr Swift.
I ended up losing a bit of money on the Strida and carryme.

If it's possible, can you up your budget?

I've learned the hard way that it's better to buy once and cry once.
With a cheap anything, you cry every time you use it.
This.

Keep in mind, the difference between $200 and $2000 is huge, but the difference between $200 and $400 is not only a smaller cost difference, but you're still DOUBLING your budget, and believe me, that makes a big difference in components, like the difference between stamped steel and forged aluminum hubs, between plated and stainless steel spokes, etc.

Regarding riding a Helix in winter weather, I baby my bike too, mostly to keep from further accelerating rim sidewall wear due to grit on the rim brake pads; The Helix has DISC brakes, tailor made for the wet, so does not have this drawback. Hose it off and you're good.

The Origami Bull has good frame and strong wheels with disc brakes and I saw on sale very recently for $500, which I thought was a good deal, and I personally would add a 2X crank to get a lower 1st gear that I require.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-06-24 at 09:41 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch: