View Single Post
Old 02-07-24, 09:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,351 Times in 3,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I wouldn't run slicks if I knew there was wet clay under mud puddles, that stuff can take you down fast with how slippery it can be. If I knew it was going to be a lot of wet and mud I'd want a basic set of fenders, the kind the zip ties to the stays and fork legs and keeps the worst of it from running down your back or into your water bottle. The Pirelli look like they're designed for this. The Vittoria Mezcal seems to have a lot of good reviews for the great divide race for its ability to handle the mud but still roll quick on pavement. Might be worth a look.
I think there are going to be some muddy sections, but it won’t be a majority of the route. It doesn’t look like it will be raining on event day. The event is on Saturday, so I’m running out of time to make any changes or get new stuff. At the moment, I’m leaning towards running the Pirelli M front and rear. I’m familiar with them as a front tire, and they roll moderately well for a knobby tread.