View Single Post
Old 02-08-24, 11:14 AM
big john

Liked 9,426 Times in 4,630 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Jesus. A beast marries a beast. I wish I could have seen that GWBR presentation. I must have been in the Army then.
I've done Solvang 3 times and the Prelude once with my Pa. One was my best ride ever. I finished in 5:00:47, because of an unlucky stoplight near the finish line. It was great: there was a CHP cruiser waiting with a smiling cop in mirrored sunglasses just waiting for me to run it, and my whole bike shuddered at the braking force.
But the best part was on Foxen Canyon Road: the swirling headwind was fierce and no one (out of about 20 riders) wanted to help up at the front; just sat on me. I was in the honeymoon phase with my powermeter, so I ignored them and just focused on the HR and Watts.
Kept working and focusing on balancing the two. Hurt longer than I'd ever hurt before, just keeping my HR at a steady 175 climbing up the hill against that gd wind. But then Foxen started steepening and so did my HR. Focused on breathing, fluidity, and it helped to ignore the guys back there. Even though I eased off lightly to control my HR, no one came up to help, and my HR continued to climb.
When it gradually got up to 192, I finally pulled to the side: Dudes, I can't pull anymore. Someone get up here please.
Nobody there. Looked back down the road; nobody there either. Rode them all off my wheel.
I know it's a petty, vain thing, but that was one of the triumphs of my life. And it turns out I had a genetic heart defect when I did it. (Oh, wait... still do. )
I think the year of that GWBR was 1989, or thereabouts.
There were many different weather events at Solvang. Wind so strong it was a struggle to go 13mph downhill. Rain, hail, and even freezing cold.
One year the winner of RAAM in the female division was Cathy something, can't remember her last name. She rode up to me on an easy section and we had a lovely chat. She was pretty small and when she got in her aero bars she had the flattest back I had seen. Like a table, actually. She must have had the lowest aero drag of anyone out there. She was wearing baggy pants that looked like pajamas. When it was time for her to go, she politely excused herself and just motored away.

Are you still riding? I met you at Mt Baldy village years ago, don't know if you remember that. You were wearing the famous La Vie Claire jersey.
Likes For big john: